Fourth edition of the Valid Foto BCN International Contemporary Photography Awards in collaboration with LensCulture, LF Magazine, FineArt Igualada, Festimatge de Calella and Fujifilm Spain with the aim of showcasing international contemporary photography and forming collaborative links between countries and photographic communities.
Professionals and amateurs, over the age of 18, may submit photographs. The award is open to any type of photograph, with no restrictions on subject matter.
We are looking for talented photographers who are able to express themselves, and are able to communicate their ideas through the photographic medium in a singular way using their own personal idiom.
We are looking for high quality projects, including those that are only starting to take shape, in order to give them international exposure.
This year the call offers two different ways of participation:
- Single photo
The competition will be open to entries from 11th June to 28th July 2019 inclusive. The winners will be anounced in September 2019.
The judging panel, made up of seven professional experts from the contemporary photographic and visual arts scene, will assess the submitted portfolios and images and select 5 portafolios (5 winners) and 3 single-photo images (1 winner and 2 accessits).
- An exhibition featuring the five winning photographers as chosen by the panel of judges. This will be presented by Galería Valid Foto of Barcelona in October 2019, with the possibility of an international tour.
- The exhibition will be part of the VIII Festival FineArt Igualada in February 2020 and also part of the XV festival de la Imatge de Calella programme in April 2020.
- The five winners will be assigned a personal account in the LensCulture portal, where they will be able to share their new photographic work.
- The LF Magazine will publish the portfolio of each winner
- In addition to the exhibition, the management of Galería Valid Foto BCN may offer to represent one of the photographer participants. This photographer will be included in the gallery’s programme of exhibitions and activities during the course of 2020-2021.
- The photographer chosen by the gallery will have an article about his or her work published on the LensCulture website.
- The winning photographers will be given a Valid Foto Award consisting of tutorials, portfolio reviews and personalized advice aimed at helping them secure a place for their work in the market.
- Lídia Penelo (ESP). Director in La Fotografía Magazine
- Juan Ferré (ESP). Publisher in La Fotografía Magazine
- Dimitri Bogachuk (UKR). Photographer and curator in PHOTO KYIV International Photography Fair
- Nestan Nijaradze (GEO). Co-fundator and director in Tbilisi Photography House
- Glòria Peruga (ESP). Co-fundator and director in REVELA-T Contemporary Analog Photography Festival of Vilassar de Dalt
- Jim Casper (USA). Publisher and editor in LensCulture
- Jordi Frontons (ESP). Architect and Art collector
- Manel Serra Florit (ESP) Optician and Photography collector
Terms and conditions
Period for Submitting Portfolios
From 11th June to 28th July 2019, inclusive.
Any photographer over 18 years of age may take part. Portfolio category participation will be required of a portfolio or photographic series of 5-20 photographs.
In single photo category photographs are assessed individually and there is no limit of images to be submitted.
Submission will be exclusively by electronic means.
To make a submission follow our links, where you will be able to register. Once you have entered the website, follow the instructions to upload your images from your computer. When your submission has been completed you will receive a confirmation email. The images submitted should be in JPEG format with a minimum of 1,400 pixels in their longest dimension and the Adobe 1998 or sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile embedded. Submissions that do not meet the requirements stipulated in the rules will be disqualified.
The inscription fee for BIPA 2019 is 35$ per portfolio until de 30th of June and is 50 US$ per portfolio until the 28th of July.
Single photo category:
The inscription fee for BIPA 2019 is 12$ for the first photo and then 8$ for each additional photo until the 30th of June and is 15$ for the first photo and then 10$ for each additional photo until the 28th of July.
All copyrights of the photographs belong to their authors. Participation in the competition entails the participants’ acceptance of all the terms and conditions. Participants thereby recognise the right of Valid Foto: (BIPA) to publish the photographic material submitted to the website and to use it in exhibitions, as well as in any promotional material directly related to the “Barcelona International Photography Awards, BIPA 2019”. More details are available in Participation Regulations.
The winners of the competition will have to complete the following sections:
(1) Exemption from liabilities.
(2) Guarantee of authorship and licence.
(3) Authorisation for publication.
Decision of the Judging Panel
The members of the judging panel will individually assess the merits of each portfolio submitted. The names of those selected will be published on the Valid Foto website (www.validfoto.com) in September 2019. The winners will be informed of the decision by email. The decision of the judging panel will not be subject to appeal.