Third Edition of the Barcelona International Photography Awards
Third edition of the Valid Foto BCN International Contemporary Photography Awards in collaboration with LensCulture, LF Magazine, Festimatge de Calella and Fujifilm Spain with the aim of showcasing international contemporary photography and forming collaborative links between countries and photographic communities.
Professionals and amateurs, over the age of 18, may submit photographs. The award is open to any type of photograph, with no restrictions on subject matter.
We are looking for talented photographers who are able to express themselves, and are able to communicate their ideas through the photographic medium in a singular way using their own personal idiom.
We are looking for high quality projects, including those that are only starting to take shape, in order to give them international exposure.
The competition will be open to entries from 22nd February to 1st April 2018 inclusive. The winners will be anounced on 15th April 2018.
The judging panel, made up of seven professional experts from the contemporary photographic and visual arts scene, will assess the submitted portfolios and select five of them for the following prizes:
- An exhibition featuring the five winning photographers as chosen by the panel of judges. This will be presented by Galería Valid Foto of Barcelona in December 2018, with the possibility of an international tour.
- The exhibition will be part of the XIII festival de la Imatge de Calella programme in April 2019.
- The five winners will be assigned a personal account in the LensCulture portal, where they will be able to share their new photographic work.
- The LF Magazine will publish the portfolio of each winner
- In addition to the exhibition, the management of Galería Valid Foto BCN may offer to represent one of the photographer participants. This photographer will be included in the gallery’s programme of exhibitions and activities during the course of 2019-2020.
- The photographer chosen by the gallery will have an article about his or her work published on the LensCulture website.
- The winning photographers will be given a Valid Foto Award consisting of tutorials, portfolio reviews and personalized advice aimed at helping them secure a place for their work in the market.
Panel of judges
- Mario Ávila (ESP) Communication Director of Adolfo Dominguez, Spain
- Julio Hardy (ARG) Curator and Director of The Gala Awards, UK
- Lola García (ESP) Communication Director of LF Magazine, Spain
- Sabine Troncin-Denis (FR) Gallerist and European agent of the photographer Michael Kenna
- Jim Casper (USA) Editor of LensCulture. Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Pep Minguez (ESP) Director of the Revela’t Festival, Spain
- Eric Schlosser (FR), Artistic Director of Tbilisi Art Fair, Georgia