Fourth edition of the Valid Foto BCN International Contemporary Photography Awards in collaboration with LensCulture, LF Magazine, FineArt Igualada, Festimatge de Calella and Fujifilm Spain with the aim of showcasing international contemporary photography and forming collaborative links between countries and photographic communities.
Professionals and amateurs, over the age of 18, may submit photographs. The award is open to any type of photograph, with no restrictions on subject matter.
We are looking for talented photographers who are able to express themselves, and are able to communicate their ideas through the photographic medium in a singular way using their own personal idiom.
We are looking for high quality projects, including those that are only starting to take shape, in order to give them international exposure.
This year the call offers two different ways of participation:
- Single photo
The competition will be open to entries from 11th June to 4th August 2019 inclusive. The winners will be anounced in September 2019.
The judging panel, made up of seven professional experts from the contemporary photographic and visual arts scene, will assess the submitted portfolios and images and select 5 portafolios (5 winners) and 3 single-photo images (1 winner and 2 accessits).
- An exhibition featuring the five winning photographers as chosen by the panel of judges. This will be presented by Galería Valid Foto of Barcelona in October 2019, with the possibility of an international tour.
- The exhibition will be part of the VIII Festival FineArt Igualada in February 2020 and also part of the XV festival de la Imatge de Calella programme in April 2020.
- The five winners will be assigned a personal account in the LensCulture portal, where they will be able to share their new photographic work.
- The LF Magazine will publish the portfolio of each winner
- In addition to the exhibition, the management of Galería Valid Foto BCN may offer to represent one of the photographer participants. This photographer will be included in the gallery’s programme of exhibitions and activities during the course of 2020-2021.
- The photographer chosen by the gallery will have an article about his or her work published on the LensCulture website.
- The winning photographers will be given a Valid Foto Award consisting of tutorials, portfolio reviews and personalized advice aimed at helping them secure a place for their work in the market.
- Lídia Penelo (ESP). Director in La Fotografía Magazine
- Juan Ferré (ESP). Publisher in La Fotografía Magazine
- Dimitri Bogachuk (UKR). Photographer and curator in PHOTO KYIV International Photography Fair
- Nestan Nijaradze (GEO). Co-founder and artistic director of Tbilisi Photo Festival and Tbilisi Photography & Multimedia Museum.
- Glòria Peruga (ESP). Co-founder and director of REVELA-T Contemporary Analog Photography Festival of Vilassar de Dalt
- Jim Casper (USA). Publisher and editor in LensCulture
- Jordi Frontons (ESP). Architect and Art collector
- Manel Serra Florit (ESP) Optician and Photography collector